Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
This first verse of the first chapter of the first book of the Bible is part of the biggest debate between science and religion.
Religion argues God created everything and science argues that a tiny mass of matter of huge density under the influence of extreme pressure and heat exploded and created the Universe and everything within.
Obviously the case of religion is the easiest to understand, however, if you don't believe in God then you have to assume science got it right and if you want to understand this argument then you have a lot of reading to do.
But now, in these modern times where religion and science are more accepting of each other a 3rd option is now available.
Perhaps God created "The Big Bang" himself. If he is the all seeing all knowing it's entirely possible he took this matter and heated it up to cause the Bang and thus, creating everything in existence.
Genesis 1:7-8
7And that is what happened. God made this space to separate the waters of the earth from the waters of the heavens.8God called the space "sky." And evening passed and morning came, marking the second day.
The reason I am including these passages is as follows;
It reads as though God originally created the Earth as a 'ball' of water and separated the water in the middle to create the sea and heaven and place the sky between the two.
This is confusing to start, if we are to take there verse literally, as we know that beyond the sky is space. Secondly, it also reads as though Heaven is water, I've never heard this before and am probably reading wrong.
The other point I'd like to make about these verses is that these versions of the verses are taken from the New Living Translation of the Bible. I originally read these verses in the English Standard Version and this is verse 8 from the ESV;
And God called the expanse Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day.
This says that the space between Earth and the 'waters above' was called Heaven, if you take the translation 'as-is' it seems as though sky=heaven
I'm going to leave it there for now as this is getting to be quite a long post.
I would like to state that these are just my thought and observations on the Bible as I am reading it.
If you have landed on this page and have not yet read my about section, please do as it will give you a better understanding of what I am trying to achieve with this blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment